Fitness & Wellness Internship
Student Engagement & Enrollment Services, Recreation & Wellness
An internship is a practical experience intended to provide meaningful, career-related work experience that extends student learning beyond the classroom. Students will assume administrative responsibilities in an area of personal and professional interest.
Number of positions: 1
Job Summary: The Intern for fitness & Wellness will gain hands on experience in developing, organizing, implementing, and evaluating fitness & wellness programming/special events for the ODU and surrounding community. They will receive intentional training in wellness programming, event planning, fitness program management, assessment, and data collection to prepare for a position within the field of commercial fitness/wellness, corporate fitness/wellness, or community/campus recreation.
- Advance professional goals or research interests
- Acquire the practical skills necessary for the operation of a specific office
- Become familiar with the operation of an administrative area
- Develop skills that are transferable to other administrative areas
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate semester wellness programs.
- Create and/or assist with coordination of special events held throughout the semester, such as: Monarch Fit Team, Love your Body Week, De-Stress Week, Powerlifting Competition, 5Ks, etc.
- Engage with members to conduct needs assessment surveys for all fitness & wellness programs to develop improvement plans.
- Determine a path of a career advancement within Fitness & Wellness (e.g., personal training, group exercise instructor, and/or small group trainer) and complete training course.
- Attend Scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with supervisors, professional staff members, patrons, and peers.
Education & Experience (Preferred Majors): Exercise Science, Health and Physical Education, Public or Community Health or related field
Employment Schedule/Hours: Internship work may be completed on a weekly basis (8 to 10 hours per week over 12-weeks) or over a shorter, more concentrated time-period as part of an intense project experience where hours are amassed.
Academic Qualifications: Regular admission in a graduate degree program at ODU with good academic standing.
Preferred Qualification: Obtain and maintain a nationally recognized current certification in First Aid, CPR and AED training (American Red Cross). The Department of Recreation and Wellness offers American Red Cross Certification classes each semester.
Office Website: https://odu.edu/recwell
For More Information, Please Contact:
Assistant Director of Fitness & Wellness
Position Reports to: Mary Healey, Assistant Director of Fitness & Wellness and Chris Gutierrez, Fitness Coordinator
Length of Internship: Students will complete a minimum of 100-hours of internship work that includes but is not limited to: project-related work for a department, unit, or institution; shadowing and/or observation of leadership activities; and attending meetings, conferences, retreats, and/or other training opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Mary Healey at email@example.com.