Student Engagement & Enrollment Services, Recreation & Wellness
An internship is a practical experience intended to provide meaningful, career-related work experience that extends student learning beyond the classroom. Students will assume administrative responsibilities in an area of personal and professional interest.
Number of positions: 1
Job Summary: The Intern for Recreation & Wellness marketing is responsible for the print, oral, and digital marketing efforts for Recreation & Wellness programs, events, and facilities. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Marketing & Memberships, the Marketing Intern is responsible for tracking social media analytics and promoting department events and programs through various digital mediums. Marketing Interns must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and work professionally with staff members within the department. Marketing Interns share photos and designs on Recreation & Wellness social media and on campus to promote upcoming initiatives presented by the department. Office hours are worked in the Student Recreation Center main office several times per week in collaboration with Marketing Assistants.
- Advance professional goals or research interests
- Acquire the practical skills necessary for marketing and promotion, including customer service, interpersonal skills, teamwork, collaboration, professionalism, problem-solving, social media savviness, resourcefulness, and oral/written communication
- Become familiar with the operation of marketing in a collegiate recreation environment
- Develop skills that are transferable to other administrative areas
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with supervisors, professional staff members, patrons and peers.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of Recreation & Wellness programs, announcements, and facility services through traditional ODU mediums:
- Write and post university announcements on behalf of the department
- Distribute digital advertisements on university televisions, Student Recreation Center cardio screens, and social media
- Distribute print advertisements in the Student Recreation Center and distribute materials on ODU’s Norfolk campus as needed
- Create events on Monarch Groups
- Track social media analytics on Instagram, Tik Tok, Facebook and Twitter to determine popular posting days and times, popular topics, and as a result suggest successful strategies for future posts.
- Attend scheduled office hours, staff meetings, and trainings.
- Represent the ODU Recreation and Wellness department at university open houses, job fairs, table marketing opportunities, and other events.
- Perform other needed and related duties as assigned by Assistant Director of Marketing & Memberships.
Education & Experience (Preferred Majors): Marketing, Communication, Public Relations
Employment Schedule/Hours: Internship work may be completed on a weekly basis (8 to 10 hours per week over 12-weeks) or over a shorter, more concentrated time-period as part of an intense project experience where hours are amassed.
Academic Qualifications: Regular admission in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at ODU with good academic standing.
Preferred Qualification: Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Demonstrates strong organization, time management, creativity, and improvisation skills. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Office Website: https://odu.edu/recwell
For More Information, Please Contact:
Assistant Director of Marketing & Memberships
Position Reports to: Brittanie Naff, Assistant Director of Marketing & Membership
Length of Internship: Generally, students will complete a minimum of 100 hours of internship work that includes but is not limited to: project-related work for a department, unit, or institution; shadowing and/or observation of leadership activities; and attending meetings, conferences, retreats, and/or other training opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Brittanie Naff at firstname.lastname@example.org