Graduate Assistant for Service Learning
Student Engagement & Enrollment Services, Office of Leadership & Learning
Number of positions: 1
Job Summary: The Graduate Assistant for Service Learning will support the Office of Leadership & Learning in developing and facilitating service and civic engagement opportunities, and will support the student food pantry by maintaining daily operations and facilitating donation opportunities and food insecurity initiatives for the campus community.
Office Website: https://www.odu.edu/leadership-learning/service
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in event coordination with service signature programs such as First-Year Service Experience, MLK Day of Service, Monarch Thrift, and Monarch Service Days.
- Coordinate and facilitate civic engagement opportunities.
- Support the on-campus food pantry for students, including maintaining daily operations in the pantry, and developing and facilitating donation drives and food insecurity initiatives.
- Serve as the secondary advisor for the Alternative Break program, assist in coordinating trip logistics and Team Leader training meetings.
- Serve as a campus partner for the Service-Learning Living Learning Community.
- Manage the volunteer social media pages and event promotions.
- Research opportunities and needs in the local area to determine new avenues for campus/community partnerships, particularly in neighborhoods adjacent to campus.
- Assist in the recruitment and supervision of undergraduate student workers.
- Assist with data assessment and reporting for service-learning courses and programs.
- Serve as a reviewer for Service-Learning Instructional Mini Grant Proposals.
- Assist with the daily operation of the office, including answering phones, assisting students, helping walk-in traffic, and administrative tasks.
- Support Division and departmental initiatives related to retention, persistence and student success
- Participate in professional developmental opportunities, maintain office hours, serve as a contributing member of Leadership & Learning staff, perform other duties as assigned.
- Regular or provisional admission in a graduate degree program at ODU with good academic standing.
- Maintain a full course of study during term of appointment.
- Experience with programming and executing/planning events.
- Commitment to service and social justice.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong oral and written skills.
- Computer competency.
Employment Schedule/Hours: The GA position requires 20 hours per week, including some evenings and weekend programs.
Academic Qualifications & Preferred Majors: Regular admission in a graduate degree program at ODU with good academic standing, maintenance of a full course load of student enrollment during the term of their appointment, and a 3.0 or higher GPA is required. Dropping below the required GPA or reducing one’s course load below full-time can be grounds for dismissal. Preferred courses of study include higher education, counseling, public administration, public health, or related field.
For More Information, Please Contact: Amy-Leah Joaquim at email@example.com
Position Reports to: Amy-Leah Joaquim, Assistant Director for Service Learning for the Office of Leadership & Learning
Knowledge and Skills Derived from Experience:
- Knowledge of best practices in service and civic engagement
- Skills related to campus programming and event planning
- Knowledge of best practices in addressing student food insecurity and basic needs
- Experience with undergraduate student advising and supervision
Compensation: $10,000 stipend and additional professional development funds
Length of Assistantship: August 10 to May 9 (9 months)
How to Apply: Send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.