Summer Graduate Coordinator
Office of Student Life & Leadership
The Carolina Union creates safe, inclusive and educational experiences that enable students to maximize their time at Carolina. The many co-curricular programs, services and facilities supported by the Union are developed and operated with a focus to serve the students whose fees fund our organization and therefore are intended to impact the intellectual and experiential climate of the University and provide opportunities for campus members to engage in debate, conversation, interaction, and learning. Managed by 44 full-time staff and over 185 student employees, the Carolina Union builds a sense of community as a unifying force on campus and provides students the space and resources needed to put theory into practice.
Student Life & Leadership:
The Office of Student Life & Leadership (SLL) consists of Leadership Development, Student Organization, Student Activities, the Carolina Union Activities Board (CUAB), Assessment & Student Development, and serves as the primary advisors to Student Government. SLL consists of eight full-time staff, 7 graduate coordinators, and a number of undergraduate coordinators. Our vision for the Office of Student Life & Leadership of the Carolina union is to empower & transform students, staff, and faculty to create positive sustainable change within our communities.
The position will serve as the coordinator for Late Night Orientation and Summer Activities. Late Night Orientation is a summer program held by the Carolina Union for incoming first year students participating in orientation. The program provides incoming students a variety of entertainment in an effort to help build relationships with one another and to begin connecting students to the university. Additionally, Summer Activities supports the Carolina Union Activities Board with summer programming for current students. This position will be assigned various projects that will help the Carolina Union Activities Board with assessment initiatives, program planning, training, and other opportunities as needed. This position will also supervise undergraduate students to plan programs for the Carolina Union Activities Board. This role will also assist with special projects in Student Life & Leadership.
- Plan and execute activities that take place during Late Night Orientation events (including set- up/take-down, venue details, working with contract entertainment, etc.)
- Partner with the Carolina Union, New Student and Family Programs, Student Life & Leadership, and the Carolina Union Activities Board staff to implement Late Night Orientation
- Coordinate collaboration and communication among the Carolina Union departments in support of Late-Night Orientation
- Coordinate and manage the schedule for Late Night Orientation volunteers and SLL Orientation Ambassadors
- Advise and support the summer programming for the Carolina Union Activities Board, specifically supervising 2-4 undergraduate students
- Manage the summer programming budget of $20,000 – $40,000.
- Collaborate and develop curriculum for the CUAB Fall Training
- Serve on the Fall Fest Involvement Committee
- Participate in Student Life & Leadership team meetings, training, development programs, and
other professional development activities
- Work on assessment activities directly correlated with CAS standards for Student Activities, Late
Night Orientation, and the Carolina Union Activities Board
- Work with various campus offices to promote campus-wide involvement opportunities to
incoming UNC students
- Network with other departments within the Carolina Union to gain a better understanding of
union operations within a large, public school setting
- Other duties as agreed upon
Terms of Employment:
Enrollment – Graduate Coordinator must be currently enrolled full-time in a graduate program that emphasizes higher education administration and/or student affairs leadership.
Period of Employment – May 16th through August 5th (dates can be negotiable)
Remuneration – Summer Graduate Coordinators will be paid a stipend of $2500 for the summer and housing will be provided in one of our campus residence halls, along with partial meal plan
How to Apply:
- Applications should be submitted at https://go.unc.edu/SLLSummerIntern23. This position will remain open until filled.
- Submit the following in PDF format:
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References (email and Phone number is requested)
- Email can be addressed to:
- Brian Lackman
Interim Director for Student Life & Leadership 2501-K FPG Student Union
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Brian Lackman
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of age, color, creed, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.