Office of Leadership & Learning
Old Dominion University
Position Title: Intern for Alternative Spring Break
Position Description: The position of Intern for Alternative Spring Break is a part-time position within the Office Leadership & Learning. The Alternative Spring Break program is a weeklong program to engage students in a meaningful community service experience and provide relevant education on community issues. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Service-Learning. The general responsibilities of the Intern will include, but not be limited to:
- Plan and execute the Alternative Break Service program, including service experiences, travel logistics, and enrichment activities
- Recruit, train, and co-supervise the student Team Leaders
- Recruit student participants for the program
- Assist in the development of creative programming to engage students throughout the week
- Communicate and collaborate with campus and community partners
- Serve as a resource for participants and team leaders, and serve as the on-site staff member for all components of the program
- Problem solve and troubleshoot program logistics
- Design and implement reflection activities in accordance with theory and best practices in experiential learning
- Create and distribute program assessment
Matriculation in a graduate degree program (higher education or public administration preferred) at ODU with good academic standing. Maintain a full course of study during term of appointment. Demonstrated program planning and implementation experience. Ability to work well under pressure. Strong oral and written communication skills. Basic computer competency.
Length of Internship: December 2022 – April 2023
Hours: The internship position requires 10 hours per week, on average. During the spring break program, the intern will be expected to fully execute and participate in the program, including the possibility of residing overnight in a provided residence hall accommodation on campus.
Skills / Benefits of Internship:
- Event Planning
- Supervising Students
- Student Development / Leadership Development
- Data and Assessment Tracking / Summarization Skills
- Community Service Experience / Service Learning
- Higher Education Course Credit
Contact Person: Kara Boone, Office of Leadership & Learning, email@example.com, 757-683-4325.