The Summer Intern for Leadership is a part time position within the Office of Leadership & Learning. The intern provides leadership development programs for incoming first-year ODU students. This individual reports directly to and works closely with the Associate Director for Leadership & Learning in maintaining a community that provides a positive developmental experience for students and assists in the development of leadership training programs for first-year student leaders.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with coordination and implementation of the First-Year Summer Institute sessions which take place throughout July and August
- Work with counselors to ensure positive student outcomes
- Coach student leaders and providing support
- Coordinate event logistics
- Provide excellent customer service to students and helping them remain engaged and become strong leaders on campus
- Co-facilitate sessions, if appropriate
Regular or provisional admission in a graduate degree program (higher education program preferred) with good academic standing is required.
- Experience with and knowledge of student leadership.
- Strong oral and written skills, computer competency.
- Experience with event logistics is preferred, but not required.
- Experience training students is preferred but not required.
Length of Internship: June 16, 2022 – August 15, 2022 (2 months)
Hours and Wages:
- Compensation: $2,500 stipend + housing option during the 2-month appointment
- Average of 20 hours per week, including some evenings and weekend programs
- Requires staying on campus for four 3-day long programs which are held during consecutive weeks in July- August; Other hours are flexible
- Interns may not hold any other paid positions at ODU during the same time period
- Opportunity for extended full year graduate assistantship
Academic and professional knowledge and skills to be derived from this experience:
- Intern will learn how to develop large leadership programs for college students
- Intern will obtain experience in working with professional staff and student workers in a fast-paced environment
- Intern will enhance his/her verbal and written communication skills.
Contact Person: Dionicia Mahler-Rogers, Associate Director, Leadership & Learning, email@example.com , 757-683-5996
Position Reports to: Dionicia Mahler-Rogers, Associate Director, Leadership & Learning, firstname.lastname@example.org , 757-683-5996
How to Apply: Send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.