Supervisor: Degi Betcher, International Student Advisor, Visa & Immigration Service Advising (VISA)
Supervisor Contact: email@example.com
Application Process: Qualified applicants can send their resume and cover letter to the VISA office at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 14
If additional information is needed from an applicant and/or an applicant is granted an interview, we will contacthim/her via ODU student e- mail.
- Regular admission in a graduate degree program at ODU with good academic standing is required;graduate assistants are required to maintain a full course of study during the term of their appointment as agraduate assistant.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written skills
- Computer competency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Event planning experience (e.g. workshops and the like)
- Presentation experience beyond a classroom setting
- Experience in working with international students or study abroad
- Familiarity with professional advising of international students
- Advising or counseling experience in a professional setting
- Desire to work in the field of international education as a career choice
- Overseas experience
- Proficiency in social media
Job Description & Responsibilities: The administrative and advising graduate assistant provides support tothe associate director and other staff members of VISA in serving ODU’s international population in the followingareas:
- making various presentations to the international community and/or the general campus population
- coordinating the Global Certificate Program, a professional development program for ODU faculty, staff and graduate assistants
- coordinating the ISAB travel grant
- responding to a significant amount of e-mail correspondence with students
- creating a number of reports and charts on student population.
- verifying student data—including some basic analysis
- processing of international student paperwork such as RCL, CPT, OPT.
- performing data-entry
- advising international students—in person and via e-mail—of basic processes
- planning new student check-in
- representing VISA and/or international students throughout the campus community
- updating VISA’s online presence on social media
- providing coverage of the front desk as needed
Length of Assistantship: August- May; potentially renewable
Hours and Wage: 20 hours per week / $15,000 academic year / 61% tuition waiver for out-of-state students
Academic and professional knowledge/skills to be derived from this experience; the GA will:
- Achieve experience in international education and develop skills in programming activities for cultural events and activities.
- Improve cross-cultural competency skills.
- Obtain an understanding of skills needed to work with a diverse international student population.
- Gain practice in making presentations.
- Acquire knowledge in counseling international students on a wide variety of issues.
- Become familiar with immigration and related laws pertaining to international students at a higher education level.