JOB DESCRIPTION. In an effort to support meaningful student engagement, which undergird and synthesize goals outlined in the Inclusive Excellence framework, (i.e., faculty and staff diversity, student diversity, diversity through the curriculum/co-curriculum, diversity through engagement), The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity is committed to provide job related opportunities graduate students that positively impact retention, enrich the educational experience, enhance interpersonal interactions with diverse populations and build leadership skills. Under the supervision of the assistant vice president of Institutional Equity and Diversity, the work study student will:
- Assist in daily operations of front desk/office support (i.e., answer phone, clerical work, input spreadsheet data, type general office correspondence, etc…);
- Conduct occasional research and assist with special projects (i.e., diversity analysis to include impact of recruitment, hiring and retention on provision of services and best practices);
- Generate statistical reports and identify trends using Microsoft Excel;
- Draft correspondence, meeting notes, and other office documents;
- Support the planning and implementation of meetings, training sessions and conferences; and
- Complete other duties as assigned.
The graduate student will also spearhead advertisement and marketing efforts of the Pathway Retention Award and Bookstore Scholarship to student veterans or prospective student veteran populations as well as assist with application submissions. Recognizing the value that students from diverse backgrounds bring to the university, including student veterans, this award is meant to identify talented students who have knowledge and experience in diverse areas or backgrounds and are prepared to use this knowledge to advance the Old Dominion University campus community towards inclusive excellence.
- Ability, skills and knowledge to work and collaborate with diverse populations;
- Adhere to confidentiality policy and record maintenance;
- Experience in customer service and data entry;
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and/or applicable software; and
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
HOURS. Between 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday
APPLICATION PROCESS. Interested students may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to:
The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
4111 Monarch Way, Suite 106
Norfolk, Virginia 23508
Office: (757) 683-3141
Fax: (757) 683-5844